HISTORICAL MILESTONE FOR ONE OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA’S TREASURED STATE ICONS AS SEQUOIA LODGE CELEBRATES FIRST BIRTHDAY
22 August 2022: The Mount Lofty House team are celebrating the first birthday of Sequoia Lodge this month, marking a year of luxury stays for thousands of guests in its first year of operation, and a number of new developments to now add to the Sequoia experience.
South Australian Owner David Horbelt and business partner Malcolm Bean will celebrate the occasion with everyone who has contributed to the success of Sequoia Lodge.
“We are incredibly pleased with the success of Sequoia, it has been a year of wonderful surprises given our challenging build during Covid. It’s a great feeling to be on the other side now and to have welcomed so many wonderful guests from around Australia and most recently overseas travellers too, and share what we have built here in the Adelaide Hills,” said David.
“We are proud of what we have created, it really is exceptional, and it’s thanks to our talented team of employees and bespoke local suppliers that have set the experience alight.
“We’ve now served our guests over 10,000 bottles of Adelaide Hills wines, over a thousand wheels of locally made artisan cheese, and thousands of hand-crafted chocolates, and, shared many a story about the wonder of the estate and the Adelaide Hills.
“What’s most fascinating to us is our guest feedback and learning what they have enjoyed most. Without a doubt the uninterrupted view from our Sequoia suites over the Piccadilly Valley and dining at Hardy’s Verandah Restaurant are the clear favourites, followed closely by relaxing in the Sequoia Lounge and bathing in the artesian spring-fed hot pools.
“Our first birthday is also a very nostalgic moment for us, and represents a poignant piece of South Australian history marking the next chapter for this historic state icon, which began when the visionary statesman and botanist, Arthur Hardy, planted three Sequoia trees here in the 1850s.
“I’m honoured to be the custodian of this treasured estate and plan to keep improving and sharing it with as many people from around the world as we can.”
“We have a host of new developments in the pipeline to add to the Sequoia experience including a new restaurant, which will give our guests another dining option on the estate.”
Sequoia was officially opened on 18 August 2021. The $20 million lodge offers the ultimate luxury experience and is the first of its kind on mainland Australia. The Sequoia experience is based on nature, connection and indulgence. See notes for key attributes.
- 14 suites carved into the escarpment on Mount Lofty House estate, overlooking the rolling Adelaide Hills
- The 75sqm open-plan suites offer unrivalled 180° views of the patchwork Piccadilly Valley
- The suites, built with raw natural materials including Basket Range stone and Spotted Gum, have a sunken lounge and private balcony
- Intuitive technology automates a number of room functions such as a bedhead lift, rising TV, privacy glass, mood lighting, music and fireplace
- Exquisite collection of artisanal pieces and amenities such as Nick Mount glass, Jam Factory ceramics, a Jurlique pillow mist menu, Hahndorf Soap and Kangaroo Island’s Organic bath salts.
- Each suite features an original oil painting by resident artist Stephen Trebilcock who is highly skilled at capturing unique native florals in incredible detail, colour and depth. His artworks appear over the property, including in the main house, transforming the 30-acre estate into a living art gallery
- Light and luxurious, the bathrooms offer a spa-like retreat with an elevated stone bath thoughtfully positioned to make the most of the views
- Sustainability thought out with thermal windows, thorough insulation and concrete walls and floors maintain a comfortable temperature all year round
- Under the shadow of a looming Sequoia tree, the landscaping has created a native garden with pathways lined by tall fescue lawns, bottlebrush, banksia, grevillea, and African lillies.
- Sequoia guests have exclusive use of the lodge’s lounge which features multiple fireplaces and a panoramic sun deck
- Within the lodge grounds, there are artesian spring-fed hot pools, an infinity pool and a wildlife enclosure. A tennis court and several walking trails can also be accessed from the adjacent estate grounds
- Dining at Sequoia is an exclusive affair for lodge guests offering creative, contemporary Australian menus that reflect the changing seasons and draw inspiration from local suppliers
- Guests can enjoy a leisurely breakfast, light lunch and two or three course dinner in the lodge lounge or in the privacy of their own suite.
- Guests also have access to the culinary experience at SA’s most acclaimed fine dining venue, three hatted Hardy’s Verandah Restaurant
- The Gatekeeper’s Day Spa cottage sits just outside Sequoia’s gate and offers guests a holistic menu of relaxing rituals, rejuvenating experiences and gentle beauty treatments.
- The Sequoia experience is based on nature, connection and indulgence.
ABOUT MOUNT LOFTY ESTATE
Mount Lofty House was built in 1852 by prominent statesman Arthur Hardy as his summer house. Arthur Hardy is reminiscent of a South Australian Jay Gatsby; indeed his daughter Mabel described their lifestyle as ‘a kind of feudal splendour’. Their beautiful manor soon became the state’s premier address for lavish and infamous parties for Adelaide’s elite of the day.
Today, this treasured state icon stands as a boutique hotel offering luxury escapes, a three hatted fine dining restaurant, indulgent day spa, conference retreats and breathtakingly beautiful weddings.
Sequoia Lodge is the most recent addition to the Estate, celebrating its first birthday in September 2022. A massive 170-year-old Sequoia tree is the centrepiece of Sequoia Lodge, planted by Arthur Hardy. The luxurious lodge is the story of the Mount Lofty region, its nature, and produce. Every suite brings the outside in with local materials in earthy tones and uninterrupted views over the valley.
Mt Lofty Estate is proudly SA owned and operated. Mount Lofty House Estate was Voted #1 Hotel in Australia and the South Pacific in 2022 by Trip Advisor, based on the feedback from the guests who stayed there.